Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Choosing A Major

Last year I came to Trinity University for their International Studies Program. My last two years of highschool I was interested in Middle Eastern Studies, and knew that this was what I wanted to study in college. However, upon attending Trinity University, my interests and major have changed. Last semester I decided to change my major to Art History. The difference in interests between Middle Eastern Studies and Art History is drastic and deciding to change my major was a difficult decision. When I came to Trinity and heard that the majority of students change their major I never thought that I would be one of them. However, when I took my first college level Art History class I knew that this was my passion opposed to Middle Eastern Studies. It was hard to let go of my previous dreams to work overseas and help with education problems in the Middle East. It was especially difficult letting go of the dream that I could be changing lives. I have learned though that you cannot study or make a career out of something you are not passionate about, and that was my main reason for switching my major. Although I have already made a huge decision on deciding to change my major, I have yet to do all of the work. I still have to officially declare my major and choose an Advisor. I also have other major decisions on what I want to focus on in Art History and where I want to study abroad. Being a sophomore, as opposed to a freshmen, presents a lot more major decisions about our futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment